Thursday, March 2, 2017

Mindfulness & What It Can Do For You

I think we all know how easy it can be to get caught up in our busy schedules or daily routines, especially in today's society. Day by day, it just becomes automatic to repeat the same tasks we know best and not even think about it. In a psychology class of mine, I have recently learned about the topic of mindfulness- one that I had not previously heard of, and I suspect I am not alone there. So, what exactly is mindfulness? Mindfulness is being entirely attentive to what is happening in your life, where you are and what you are doing. The main components to mindfulness (but definitely not limited and are open to expansion) are:
1) Being present in your life, and being non-judgmental
2) Be curious, open, accepting, trying to be at peace


This might sound silly or easy, but it can be pretty difficult at times. I myself am still working on it, and it is easy to lose your attention after a few minutes, or let your mind wander to that test you have tomorrow, or the fight you had with your roommate that day, or what you're going to have for dinner. Moving past those distractions and truly being there in the present moment is what we struggle with. Two tactics that can be used to practice mindfulness...
1) Meditation
2) Body awareness


The two tactics build off of one another in a way, as mindfulness meditation promotes body awareness. Being aware of your body is a great way to keep yourself in the present moment, feeling your feet on the ground, your lungs breathing and your heart beating, focusing on the fact that you are truly present in your life at that point in time.

It amazes me how putting myself into this one, simple mental state can improve my life. I find that I am much happier in my life since I started practicing this. Something as simple as looking around you while walking to class and noticing the color of the leaves on the trees, the newly budding flowers or a crack in the sidewalk. It may sound silly, but it can truly better your life. Mindfulness makes that routine drive to work or class every single day less routine. You know that car ride where you arrive at your destination and somehow don't remember the drive there? I think we have all been there before, and it can almost be scary at times. Mindfulness can help you to notice something you may not have previously, or pick out something new every day amid your daily commute.

To live a happy, full life does not mean just going through the motions. Mindfulness not only raises your awareness, but can improve mental health and overall well being, leading you on the path to a happier and healthier life. For more information on mindfulness, its benefits, and how to practice it I highly recommend visiting the following: https://www.helpguide.org/harvard/benefits-of-mindfulness.htm. This site provides great insights into the state of being mindful, and how it can boost you in the right direction. Continue checking back for more posts on happiness and self-improvement!

No comments:

Post a Comment